Sunday, September 15, 2013

Karate is like hot water

"Karate is like hot water, if its heat is removed it becomes cold."
 - #11 of Gichin Funakoshi's "Twenty Principles of Karate-do"
The sensei at the judo dojo I am taking classes at asked me the other night if I still did karate. My mind wanted to say "yes" but I realized I would only be lying to myself if I did. So I said, "no". And that's the truth. How can I claim to still be doing karate if I'm not even practicing the kata on a regular basis? I mean, people ask me if I've done martial arts before and I always tell them that "karate is my main thing. I'm just furthering my understanding of other arts in order to inform my karate". And for the most part that's true. I mean, considering that the kata in our various systems of Okinawan karate included grappling, throwing and other close-quarter combat-type techniques, it would only seem necessary to gain an understanding of those things (especially since modern karate as taught to me did not teach this). But I recognize that unless I'm doing the thing, I can't claim to be doing the thing. Simple as that. My task right now is to find a way to keep the kata ingrained in me while still broadening my understanding of martial principles through other arts. All the while finding the time to do the other things in my life as well...sheesh. Sure is a lot sometimes. Do I have any idea what I'm doing?

Elbow SMASH!
Hiji Até

No comments:

Post a Comment