Monday, March 11, 2013

A non-exhaustive list of resources for the Karate mind

What's up folks. The following is an online list of people/resources that I have been frequently turning to for guidance in my karate journey:

1. Jesse Enkamp

2. Patrick McCarthy

3. Charles C. Goodin

4. Rory Miller

5. Iain Abernethy

6. Angel Lemus

Particularly, it was reading articles by Jesse Enkamp and Patrick McCarthy that first blew the doors off my closed-karate mind. I remember feeling very overwhelmed and just aghast at how much I really didn't know about the art I had been practicing for the last 4-5 years. It was honestly very painful to read well researched information that contradicted nearly all of what I thought I knew. I found the other resources simply by researching deeper into what I was reading from those two individuals. The only "non-karate" resource is Rory Miller, although his insight is applicable across the martial arts board. And like, Enkamp and McCarthy, Rory Miller blew my mind with his two books, Meditations on Violence and Facing Violence (plus his blog). If you were ever interested in taking martial arts classes for "self-defense (like I was) then I would highly suggest you read those two books of his.

I should also say that most of what I am blogging about is stuff that the above list of people have already talked about in depth. I'm not pretending to be original with this blog. What I am doing is flexing my creative karate muscle and attempting to mold this blog into a potent synthesis of organic thought.

Elbow SMASH!
- Hiji Até

No comments:

Post a Comment