Sunday, March 3, 2013

There is no try

"Don't think! Thinking is the enemy of creativity. It's self-conscious, and anything self-conscious is lousy. You can't try to do things. You simply must do things." - Ray Bradbury
Got that quote from Seth Godin's book, The Icarus Deception. I highly recommend it for the stuck-in-the-closet artists like me who have been too timid to let their genius shine forth. Anyways, I had this idea that instead of writing out my thoughts on karate only in my private journal, I would just do the same thing but "in public" so to speak. Maybe someone will read one of these blahgs and connect to it? I don't know. I often hesitate upon doing these types of things. I guess I'm looking to break the habit of hiding. We'll see how it goes. "Don't think!". Okay. Here we go...

About that name of the blog: I was doing my laundry yesterday and I was reading Margaret J. Wheatley's "Leadership and the New Science". This "new science" is about the "...revolutionary discoveries in quantum physics, chaos theory and biology that are overturning the models of science that have dominated for centuries" (from the back cover). And so I was reading this book and I just kept getting blown away by what she was saying and the connections it has to martial arts and karate in particular. And I said to myself, "Damn man. That's what I am. That's what I want to be with my karate....quantum!" So yeah, that's the origins of the name. A "karateka" for those that don't know is Japanese for someone who practices karate.

That's all for now.

Elbow SMASH!
-Hiji Até

No comments:

Post a Comment