Friday, May 17, 2013

I want training to be...

Athletic, vigorous fun. And about skill building. Physical self-defense is a skill. Like going to trade school to learn how to be a mechanic. And there should be a third element to this training; Personal Safety. This has to do (to me) with things like Rory Miller's "7 elements" of self-defense training: (Legal/ethical implications, Violence Dynamics, Avoidance, Counter-Ambush, Breaking the Freeze, The Fight Itself, The Aftermath). I mean, I think all three areas should be ONE area. But maybe for "business" sake, you could teach all three areas separately? I mean, honestly I think the "skill building" is for the serious martial artist (combined with the other two areas). I think for most people it would be more important or useful to cover the "Athletic, vigorous, fun" and the "Personal Safety" aspects. You don't need to be a martial artist to know Personal Safety principles. And you don't need to be a martial artist to know how to break a sweat and improve your body's physical health. The problem I'm seeing with some of the different dojo I've visited is that they either focus on one area to the detriment of the others. Martial arts or karate in particular is a holistic endeavor. I like karate because it comes with a solid guiding philosophy of conduct as well as an impressive array of skill. Only problem is that the "skill" building (the jutsu) has been lost, for the most part. From my experience the focus is on athleticism and vigorous workouts (and sometimes not even fun).

Elbow SMASH!
- Hiji Até

No comments:

Post a Comment