Wednesday, May 15, 2013

What I Want, What I'm Looking For

I was in downtown Oakland today buying useful kitchen utensils/appliances at the Salvation Army there. Got a good deal on some stuff. Anyways, as I was leaving the area I passed by a business front for Brooklyn Academy Roots. Their circular logo includes the sub-heading "Fitness + Self Defense". Immediately I thought to myself, that's what I'm looking for. That's what I want. I think those two things go hand in hand. And from what I've been reading about with regards to Okinawan karate, that is how it was originally taught...holistically. The business itself has a bit of what my girlfriend might call a "shi-shi" vibe to it; that is to say it gives off the impression that it's for those who can afford expensive classes (we're talkin' $100 or more a month). And it's in a part of the downtown area that is obviously looking to attract young professional types to rent out relatively expensive lofts. Anyways, point is, that is what I want to manifest for myself: Functional self-defensive skill (not just physical of course; gotta have a Rory Miller inspired curriculum) and maintaining a healthy body (i.e. working on cardio, strength, agility and flexibility for example). Somewhere down the line I hope to be able to get involved with providing this kind of "skill-training" for people in "disadvantaged" socio-economic areas; that is to say for my neighbors in the hood. Why should the "Uptown" people be having all the fun and resources? Unless you're seeking to live a bourgeois lifestyle, why do you need to charge folks so damn much? To put gas in your BMW? To pay the mortgage on your half-million dollar home in the suburbs? To be an ass? Just kidding. But I mean for real, I believe this idea of "fitness + self-defense" can and should be made accessible to just about anyone (but that also doesn't mean the self-defensive stuff will be taught to just about anyone; I personally believe you need to show some kind of sound character). It ain't about making lots of money, but it is about making sure you can make a living in our economy. But to get back again to what I was saying, I think Okinawan karate needs to be about those two things. I think it needs to be a holistic art once again if it's going to have any relevance or staying power for future generations to come.

Elbow SMASH!
- Hiji Até

No comments:

Post a Comment